In the photo above, it’s the Russian kid who died from a king cobra bite, with a king resting on his thigh without any apparent restraint or control of the snake.
Young Russian Dies of King Cobra Bite in Minutes (story)
A Russian man had a collection of venomous snakes and has been killed after his King Cobra bit and envenomated him while he was feeding it.
The victim, identified only as a 21-year-old man called Vladimir, died within minutes of the bite at his apartment in the city of Tolyatti, in south-central Russia’s Samara Oblast region.
His girlfriend, called Anna, was with him in the flat at the time. She later told police he had been feeding the King Cobra when the reptile struck.
His girlfriend Anna immediately called an ambulance but there was nothing medics could do for him when they arrived.
The king cobra is one of very few snakes which can kill a person in less than an hour. The amount of venom they are capable of injecting in a very short time, is ridiculously large. I knew a guy who died in less than ten minutes from a king cobra bite. I know of another Thai boy who worked at a snake show here in Thailand, who died within 10 minutes of a bite. The venom is primarily neurotoxic and acts on the diaphragm and heart muscles to cause death if there isn’t immediate first aid available, and sometimes, it just wouldn’t even matter if there was.
The King cobra’s venom is rated very high on Toxinology.com’s scale.
Not a snake anyone should be freehandling. Unless of course, you just don’t care about life. You don’t care about your parents. Siblings. Friends. Acquaintances. Yourself. Then, I guess that’s when you freehandle deadly snakes.
See our complete KING COBRA FACT PAGE >
[Top image – ©CEN. Second image Alisha Vargas – Flickr CC.]